Monday, September 14, 2009

SCORE: Girls 2 Boys 1


Come January 16th, Eric will officially be outnumbered by the girls! Yes, that is right, the Jones' are having a girl. We had our ultra sound a couple of weeks ago and the announcement of a girl was just the topper. Eric and I were both counting the toes, fingers, arms and legs before we rejoiced of the sex. Check on all the above! All we truly cared about was her health. She is growing right on schedule and looks beautiful. As soon as I figure out how to post the ultrasound picture, I will, but the verdict is she has my nose and from the looks of it, her lips are comin' from her momma! Eric is thrilled to be a daddy to a baby girl and what a wonderful father he will be!

This experience, though it is only half way through, has been a very reflective, interesting one for me. Eric has been working more than sleeping and eating put together, so I have been by myself a lot thinking, talking to her, and thinking about being a mom. During these thought moments, there isn't a time that I don't reflect back on my mother and watching her mother us. It is amazing how fast the roles switch when you become pregnant--all of a sudden, YOU are the grown up now and when I mean grown up--I mean PARENT. As children, we think we have all the answers and our parents have no idea how we feel, think, or look at the world. I go over in my head so many incidences growing up and take the view looking in as a parent would and I see my mother as truly amazing. Having this little one inside of me, parent means something totally different than it did when I was a child or still to this day as my mother's child. My mom was a graceful mother--She made everything look easy and natural. Will that happen for me? I worry about that. I worry that I will not be strong for her. Will I be able to protect her in any situation. How will I know what is best for her. My mom made it looks so very easy. I pray that Eric and I will know or at least be guided and listen to our heart.

So as far as name go, Eric and I are complete odds. We had a definite name for a boy and we knew if it was going to be a girl, we would have some issues because I have two names I love and he loves the other one. We would love to hear your thoughts about what name you like best:
Henley
Emerson
Brooklyn


PS--picture disclaimer: HORRIBLE smile. I had the camera on self timer and I felt so silly smiling to a camera without someone behind it. So, this isn't the best picture, but rather proof of a growing belly.

11 comments:

Little Crows Nest said...

Beth,
You are such a cutie prego-girl! I know we don't know each other very well, but I have always enjoyed your family...especially your mom. I have witnessed some of the same qualities in her that you see. She is always striving to do the right thing for herself and her family. Seeing Catheryn and Karaska interact and grow up together, I can honestly say that there was some good parenting there!

You are going to be a wonderfully elegant mother. It's evident in your inquiries into yourself that you truly want to be the best mom you can. It will be hard--no doubt--but the rewards far outweigh the difficulties you will face. Don't be afraid to turn to your mother for advice...I know I did--and still do. I thought, at first, that I knew everything there was to know about raising babies, and that it was all instinct...boy was I wrong. haha. Now I welcome any advice I can get my hands on.

Congratulations on becoming pregnant! You are starting a wonderful new chapter in your life and I am sooo excited for you!

-Emily

Jeannine said...

Beth you and Eric are going to be amazing parents, why, because you want it so badly. You are going to be so patient and loving and your daughter will turn out wonderful. I like all three names, but the first 2 I like because I haven't heard them before. I love unique names! I can't wait to meet her :)

Erin said...

I like Brooklyn... I know a Brooklyn and think she is adorable, so that's my vote. Love the post and I am so very excited!! ~E

Alisha said...

Being a mother has definitely made me a better daughter. It is amazing how quickly you realize how wonderful your parents were. And I have apologized on more than one occasion for what a terrible teenager I was to my mom. I can't imagine how much it would break my heart if my little guy treated me that way.

On names, whatever you choose will be perfect. You'll get plenty of opinions if you share your choices -- and you may not like what you hear. Keep mum. Play coy. Say you have a few in mind but haven't decided. It usually satisfies the curious.

Cameron and Cindy said...

I like all the names, but I will vote for Henley b/c it is a family name, so I could pretend you named her after me!! :) ha ha love and miss you.

Kris said...

yay! How exciting! A little Booter running around! :) Anyway, so much to think about, huh? And you will probably see yourself turning into your mother one of these days! ;) Now I can make that cute handkerchief dress for you. :) I like the name Brooklyn. In my opinion (which is just an opinion - you'll decide for yourself!) Emerson and Henly sounds more like a boy, but I've seen Parker and Bryce used as girl names and have even heard that Tyler is becoming unisex (what?!). Keep enjoying your time being pregnant, b/c things sure change once the baby comes! Read lots of books and magazines and ask lots of questions, then make your decisions based on what's best for you and your baby. Can't wait to see those Beth lips! :)

Staci said...

LOVE the top picture of you guys. So darn cute. I like Brooklyn- Henley and Emerson are more boy sounding names to me. :)

Mags said...

Beth-we are so happy for you both, and we are a little partial to girls....so we're even that much more thrilled for you! Brooklyn would be my pick because we have a Brooke and we always end up calling her Brooklyn(especially when she's in trouble, and Brookie Cookie when she's not:) But it will be a special name whatever you choose. You will be such a beautiful mother and I am confident you will make a great team as you raise this precious little gift from heaven! It is amazing how parenthood gives you a new perspective on what your parents did. And wait until you give birth, then the hat will really come off to your mom when you think, "She did this FIVE times?!?!" It's an amazing experience and there is nothing like the first one so cherish every moment and savor everything. We are SOOOO happy for you!!

Unknown said...

well as your sister i feel obliged to comment. :] i think i like henley and brooklyn the best. not really feeling emerson. i know that's one of your favorites though. and in the end if you like it best then name her that. maybe eric will get over it. hehe. but whatever the name i will love her all the same. love you! wish i was closer to experience this with you!!

Alli Hunter said...

Beth HI!!! This is Allison(Garner) Hunter. I just linked to your blog from Sarah's, and it's so fun to catch up and see the exciting things in your life, congrats on the baby! The first is so fun and sureal, enjoy it.
I have a blog, but it's private and I'd love to invite you as a viewer, just send me your email if you want to. I'd like to link to yours also, if that's ok. Blogs are such a great way to keep in touch and catch little glimpses into our lives! So good to see you and I hope you're doing great!! My email allihunter@hotmail.com :)

Shelley said...

Beth,

Congratulations! A girl! You are going to be a great mom; you've always been good at loving people, and that's what your little girl needs. I can't believe how tiny your belly is. I'm due in 2 week from today and I'm so big I can hardly see my toes! I like Emerson the best of your 3 name choices. I don't know if you'd shorten it or not, but I think that Emi is one of the most darling little girl names-- it's actually on my top 5 list. Hope you are feeling well. Love you!